Our flagship. A true Premier Grand Cru of Maremma, made from the classic Bordeaux grape varieties Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot and Petit Verdot and yet with the unmistakable character of the Tuscan coast. An ambitious wine in every respect - the grapes are exclusively from prime locations on our slopes which flow gently to the sea, the wine is aged for about 24 months in barriques from the best coopers (70-80 % new wood) and then for two years in the bottle. This gives it an unparalleled strength and complexity, sophisticated coolness and elegance. Its impressive diversity of bouquets ranging from berries and spicy notes increases year on year.
"From a cool year, Monteverro 2014 leaves the expressiveness of its fruit to one side to reveal itself in all the elegant glory of its surroundings: Mediterranean maquis and rough seas. Its palate is pure silk, and its tannic structure both present and pleasant."
More information on the vintages
- Selection: 40% Cabernet Franc, 30% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot, 10% Petit Verdot
- Denomination: IGT Toscana Rosso
- Region: Maremma, Tuscany
- Color: Dark ruby with touches of royal red on the rim.
- On the nose: Nice elegant nose with touches of cedar, marzipan, dark fruit like blackcurrant, black cherries, touches of underbrush and laurel with chocolate milk and sundried tomatoes.
- On the plate: Soft velvet entrance evolving on a beautiful fruit like dark cherries, macerated strawberries with touches of tobacco box evolving on raspberries and plum.
- Winemaking: Each lot fermented separately Fermentation in stainless steel and barrel Natural fermentations 100% gravity Punch downs by hand
- Aging: 24 months in French oak barrels with 80% new oak
- Bottling: No fining, no filtering
- Soil: Clay and limestone with eroded stones
- Plantation: 7,575 vines/ha oriented north/south
- Harvest: Hand picking and harvest date adapted to each section of a parcel
- Weinwisser: 18/20
- Falstaff: 96/100
- James Suckling: 96/100
- Wine Advocate by Robert Parker: 93/100