Our flagship. A true Premier Grand Cru of Maremma, made from the classic Bordeaux grape varieties Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot and Petit Verdot and yet with the unmistakable character of the Tuscan coast. An ambitious wine in every respect - the grapes are exclusively from prime locations on our slopes which flow gently to the sea, the wine is aged for about 24 months in barriques from the best coopers (70-80 % new wood) and then for two years in the bottle. This gives it an unparalleled strength and complexity, sophisticated coolness and elegance. Its impressive diversity of bouquets ranging from berries and spicy notes increases year on year.
"A drum-rolling debut for Monteverro: 2008 was an explosive year, full of wild forest berry and notes of spice, a splendid start for our quintessential wine that today is proving to be a resounding success. It's an ideal wine for a rib-eye steak with onions."
More information on the vintages
- Selection: 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Cabernet Franc, 10% Merlot, 5% Petit Verdot
- Denomination: IGT Toscana rosso
- Region: Maremma, Tuscany
- Color: Intense dark black with ruby on the rim.
- On the nose: Intense complex dark fruit like blackberries and black currant with touches of rosemary, dark cherry liquor, black liquorice and cigar box.
- On the plate: Structured and complex mouth feel with integrated tannins, velvety blueberries and black berry jam, lingering on freshly picked black currant and fresh plum.
- Winemaking: Every lot vinified separately Fermentation in inox and barrel Natural fermentation 100 % gravity Punch downs by hand
- Aging: 24 months in French oak barrels with 70 % of new oak
- Bottling: No fining, no filtration
- Soil: Clay and limestone with eroded stones
- Plantation: 7575 vines/ha oriented north/south
- Harvest: Hand picking and harvest date adapted to each section of a parcel
- Vini d'Italia - Gambero rosso: 2 Bicchieri rossi
- FINE Das Weinmagazin: 95 von 100 Punkten
- Meiningers Weinwelt: 94 von 100 Punkten
- Guida Oro di Veronelli: 95 von 100 Punkten
- Weinwirtschaft: 94 von 100 Punkten
- James Suckling: 91 von 100 Punkten
- The Wine Advocate: 93 von 100 Punkten
- Wineterminator: 95 von 100 Punkten
- Falstaff: 96 von 100 Punkten
- Wine Enthusiast: 95 von 100 Punkten