Our flagship. A true Premier Grand Cru of Maremma, made from the classic Bordeaux grape varieties Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot and Petit Verdot and yet with the unmistakable character of the Tuscan coast. An ambitious wine in every respect - the grapes are exclusively from prime locations on our slopes which flow gently to the sea, the wine is aged for about 24 months in barriques from the best coopers (70-80 % new wood) and then for two years in the bottle. This gives it an unparalleled strength and complexity, sophisticated coolness and elegance. Its impressive diversity of bouquets ranging from berries and spicy notes increases year on year.
"Subtle, elegant, almost as mysterious as a painting by De Chirico. The ace up Monteverro 2009's sleeve is its discreet, timeless luxury, unhurriedly revealing a thousand facets. Paired with Alba-style steak tartare and white truffle, it will intrigue the tastebuds in unexpected ways."
More information on the vintages
- Selection: 45% Cabernet Sauvignon, 35% Cabernet Franc, 10% Merlot, 10% Petit Verdot
- Denomination: IGT Toscana rosso
- Region: Maremma, Tuscany
- Color: Deep, dark and intense black with bright red and purple on the rim.
- On the nose: Concentrated aromas with spices like white pepper, sap, chocolate and cedar wood with hints of cherry, jasmine, tea leaves, black currant and cigar box.
- On the plate: Powerful, yet subtle entrance on a layered structure with a great backbone of acidity, lingering on cherry, cassis and dark chocolate with dense but ripe tannins, coated with blackberry jam.
- Winemaking: Every lot vinified separately Fermentation in inox and barrel Natural fermentations 100 % gravity Punch downs by hand
- Aging: 24 months in French oak barrels with 70 % of new oak
- Bottling: No fining, no filtration
- Soil: Clay and limestone with eroded stones
- Plantation: 7575 vines/ha oriented north/south
- Harvest: Hand picking and harvest date adapted to each section of a parcel